When we heard that water kefir can strengthen your immune system - thanks to probiotics, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin K, electrolytes, enzymes and antioxidants - we had to try it for ourselves. As you know, gut health is pretty important to us at HOLOS and just as important is who we align ourselves with. We are charmed to collaborate with brands like Happy Gut that share our values. This activated beverage is the perfect match for our organic muesli, a vegan and dairy-free dynamic duo.
Now, let’s talk about how you too can enjoy this rich and delicious milk alternative. Coconut, pineapple, sorbet and muesli in the morning, anyone?
PART ONE: making the fermented coconut milk kefir
Total time: 24h-48h
- 1/4 cup Happy Gut water kefir grains
- 950ml coconut milk
- Mix the Happy Gut Water Kefir Grains with the coconut milk in a brewing jar.
- Close the lid and leave it in a warm place (20-30°C) for 24-48 hours. When it’s ready the liquid will look foamy, as it will have fermented.
PART TWO: prepping your overnight muesli
Total time: 35 min
- Fermented coconut milk kefir (made in part one)
- 1 pouch of Vanilla HOLOS
- Place the brewing jar with the water kefir grains and the fermented coconut milk kefir, with the lid on but not sealed, into very warm water for about a half-hour. The coconut milk will get runny. Do not get water inside the jar.
- Strain out the water kefir grains using a nylon strainer and put the remaining liquid (fermented coconut milk kefir) in a clean storage jar with a lid. Leave aside. Store the water kefir grains for the next time you’ll use them.
- Pour 1 pouch of Vanilla HOLOS into the signature HOLOS jar.
- Add the fermented coconut milk kefir to the fill line indicated on the HOLOS jar (approx. 200ml). Place unused fermented coconut milk kefir in the fridge (you will use it in part three).
- Seal the HOLOS jar and shake the ingredients.
- Put the HOLOS in the fridge and leave to soak overnight.
PART THREE: morning-of muesli topper
Total time: 10 min
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 60ml of fermented coconut milk kefir (unused from part two)
- ½ banana
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- ½ cup frozen pineapple, unfrozen at room temperature
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- To make the puree, place the pineapple, unused fermented coconut milk kefir, banana, and shredded coconut in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Layer the puree on top of the HOLOS or mix into the mixture.
- Top with the pineapple chunks and shredded coconut (toppings).
Hello, summer in a jar! This recipe is seriously delicious (and nutritious), but you don’t need to take our word for it. Order your next round of HOLOS here, and visit Happy Gut to get your water kefir starter kit! By the way, don’t forget to keep that extra fermented kefir nut milk in your fridge and use it up within five days of making it. But how? It pairs nicely with all of our muesli flavours. ;)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WATER KEFIR MADE WITH PLANT-BASED MILK
Water kefir and milk kefir (the most popular form of kefir) are very similar but the grain cultures in each are different. Water kefir grains do not respond to dairy but only to water and plant-based milk, while milk kefir grains do not respond to non-dairy alternatives but to only dairy milk. Using water kefir is the perfect alternative for vegans who want to benefit from kefir since it is the only way it can be done with plant-based milk (without dairy)!
If using a standard plant-based milk rather than water with the water kefir, you can expect the ferment to be a little thicker, and it will remain more emulsified during the ferment due to the presence of binding and thickening agents in the milk. This will yield something more similar to a dairy kefir or sipping yogurt. If the plant-based milk used does not contain any binding and thickening agents, you may experience some separation during the ferment. Simply give your fermented milk a little shake to emulsify, and enjoy!